Charlottetown Islanders hand out hardware at annual Awards Banquet
The Charlottetown Islanders welcomed players, staff, fans and friends to the Rodd Royalty Hotel on Thursday night for the annual Awards Banquet.
The night began with the introduction of the night’s hosts George Matthews and Cory Arsenault.
Islanders Head Coach and General Manager Jim Hulton then said a few words before the presenting of the first award.
The first awards of the night were handed out as follows:
- Hot 1055 Rookie of the Year: Saku Vesterinen
- UPEI Scholastic Player of the Year: Pierre-Olivier Joseph
- City of Charlottetown Mayor’s Class Act Award: Pierre-Olivier Joseph
- Moore’s Well Drilling Top Offensive Player: Filip Chlapik
After that, guests helped themselves to a delicious buffet.
More awards were then presented:
- Bernadette’s Flowers Hardest Working Player: Pascal Aquin
- Maritime Electric Volunteer of the Year: Darlene Younker
- Eastlink Fan Favourite Award (over 14,000 votes cast): Matthew Welsh
- Island Oxygen Defensive Player of the Year: Guillaume Brisebois
A silent auction followed the presentation of these latest awards.
- Mooselight Three Star Award: Daniel Sprong
- Fair Isle Ford Play of the Year: Blocker Brilliance by Matthew Welsh
- Red Shores Player’s Player Award: Filip Chlapik
CBC’s Bruce Rainnie then treated those in attendance to a great speech on never quitting and the path to success.
After a standing ovation for Rainnie, Islanders honourary Captain Callum Thomson came forward to present the final award:
- Most Valuable Player: Filip Chlapik
It was another successful Award’s Banquet to kick-off the final weekend of the most successful regular season in Islanders franchise history.
Congratulations to all the winners!