Islanders fall to the Screaming Eagles in overtime

The Islanders deserved a better fate on Friday night as despite nearly doubling their opponents in shots the Islanders fell in overtime to the 12th place Cape Breton Screaming Eagles.

Cape Breton opened the scoring midway through the opening period with a power play goal from Isiah Campbell beating Islanders starter Matthew Welsh with a deflection.

The Screaming Eagles would add to their lead just over four minutes later on a goal from forward Peyton Hoyt.

That is where the score would stay after the first period, as after 20 minutes of action the Screaming Eagles led, 2-0.

The second period began with a rough play as just under seven minutes into the period Jordan Ty Fournier took a run at Charlottetown’s Nathaniel Doyon, hitting the Islander rookie dangerously in the back sending him into the boards. Hunter Drew came to the defense of his young teammate, instantly dropping the gloves and going after the hulking Cape Breton forward. The two would trade several blows in a short lived fight that was eventually broken up by the officials. Fournier would receive a game misconduct on the play, and send the Isles to the five-minute power play.

Unfortunately for the struggling Islanders’ power play, they would be unable to capitalize on the opportunity.

The Islanders would answer back before the end of the period with Sam King firimg a quick shot through the legs of a Cape Breton defender, beating a surprised Kevin Mandolese to cut the deficit to a single goal.

Mandolese stood tall for his team in the second period, as the Islanders tied a franchise record for most shots in a period, firing 25 towards the Cape Breton goalie.

Charlottetown would give up a power play goal early in the third to Mathias Laferrière but they were quick to bounce back.

As the Isles’ cycled the puck in the Cape Breton zone Daniel Hardie picked up a pass from Nikita Alexandrov before beating Madolese with his 24th goal of the season.

The Islanders would tie the game at 3-3 just moments later as Pascal Aquin snapped a shot past the blocker of Mandolese to force overtime.

With just over a minute remaining in overtime Peyton Hoyt picked up a pass from Ross MacDougall and fired a shot just under the glove of Welsh to win the game for Cape Breton.

The Islanders are back in action tomorrow night back at Centre 200 in Cape Breton for game two of this Screaming Eagles double header. You can follow the action live with Fair Isle Ford Isles Radio with host Ryan MacEachern starting at 7PM.

More News
Islanders look to continue dominance over Remparts on the road
5 hours ago
HIGHLIGHTS | Charlottetown vs. Moncton | January 13th, 2019
3 days ago
GALLERY: January 12th vs. Rouyn-Noranda
3 days ago
Islanders fall to Wildcats on Sunday afternoon
4 days ago
Islanders look to remain perfect against Moncton
4 days ago
HIGHLIGHTS | Rouyn-Noranda vs. Charlottetown | January 12th, 2019
4 days ago